“Don’t knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn’t start a conversation if it didn’t change once in a while.” ~Kin Hubbard
Guess that’s me today…because all I have to say is “How ’bout that weather?!”
I mean, really, can you believe this awful heat wave we’re having? Lately most every time I go out I feel like my skin is going to melt off…which would just be awkward. It’s much too early to start putting skeletons out in the yard. 😛 Since I’m inside a.m.a.p (just made that up…it means “as much as possible”), I found this quote online by Jane Austen. It pretty well sums up my feelings…
“What dreadful hot weather we have! It keeps me in a continual state of inelegance.”
That sound you just heard? That was my husband shouting “Amen.” The poor man has had to see me in all sorts of un-keptness…no make-up (What’s the point if it’s going to melt away?!), hair left to it’s own devices (Turn on the blow dryer & straightener? I think not!), random assortment of skimpy clothes…(oh wait, he probably likes that one). The point I’m trying to make here is that in this heat, who feels like getting properly dressed?!
Here’s a few things I heard while watching the news last night about central TX. And since you know how uplifting and encouraging the news is (NOT), you can probably guess where I’m going with this…
– We had the hottest June recorded in over 30 years.
– We’ve had over 30 days of temps reaching/passing 100 degrees.
– Yesterday was the all-time record warmest low temperature recorded…86 degrees. (Think that one through…it takes a minute but it will make sense.)
– The heat index makes most days feel somewhere between 105-110 degrees. (I know it gets hotter in places like AZ…but we’ve got humidity making it feel hotter here.)
– We are constantly under “heat advisories,” and there is no end in sight for the 100 degree days.
<Oh sorry, please excuse me. My phone is ringing. *RING*RING*RING* Hello? …. Agreed. …. Goodbye. …. Oh, and please don’t call this number again.>
Satan called. He wants his weather back.
And yet, we still have about a month of summer left. So I’ve decided to compile a little list for you guys with some helpful “stay cool” tips. Some I found online, some are personal, some sound a little strange…but if you get hot enough I’m willing to bet you’ll try ’em anyway. So here we go…
– Hot Fashion Trend: seersucker, linen, lightweight cotton…oh and you should wear your shirt untucked to promote circulation
– Channel you inner cow…Graze: eating big meals just fuels your metabolic fire, so break up your eating to stay cooler
– Set your mouth on fire: spicy foods make you sweat without raising your internal body temperature…once your skin is damp, evaporation will help cool you off!
– A chilly reception: put your sheets in the freezer for a couple of hours before bed
– Close your eyes, relax, and picture snow: research has shown that the body reacts to daydreams and lowers the body’s temperature
– Hot air rises…so sleep on the floor
– Cold-blooded: every couple of hours, go run your wrist under cold tapwater…it will cool your bloodstream
– Drink chrysanthemum tea: it’s a cooling herb which will clear your head
– Hibernate: find a cool spot and DO NOT MOVE unless absolutely necessary…and I think you’ll find that your list of “necessary things to do” gets cut dramatically when it’s this hot
And as for me? How will I be “beating the heat” today?
I’m meeting my family at Six Flags…
But you can bet I’ll be putting my sheets in the freezer before I go.
KEEP CALM & STAY COOL!