Oh the things that will blow my future children’s minds.
– I didn’t get my first cell phone until I was a senior in high school. I didn’t really learn how to text until I was in college.
– I was around when Facebook was first invented & was for college students ONLY.
– Before wifi & 4G’s & whatever we’ll have in the world in the future, there was a little something called dial-up. Waiting for it to connect was comparable to “waking two miles uphill in the snow while barefoot.”
– The year I was born, Windows came out with version 1.0.
– DVD’s were not invented until I was 1o years old. VHS will be to my kids what 8 tracks are to me.
– If a tv show came on and you weren’t around, then too bad so sad. There was no DVR or rewinding live tv.
And on top of all that, I can remember a time when there was no “reality tv” on tv. *GASP*
Seriously though, do you remember when “Survivor” and “Big Brother” first came out? I can still picture sitting in the living room with my family faithfully watching and cheering on our favs. It was the new big thing, the best thing since sliced bread, and even rivaled my beloved T.G.I.F. as my favorite thing on tv.
Survivor is now on Season 23. Big Brother is on season 13. And beyond those two there are a plentitude of other reality shows. We have become reality tv gluttons.
Although I eventually grew bored of Survivor and Big Brother got a little to scandalous for this girl, I still partake in a more than healthy dose of reality tv. The ones I currently DVR are…Housewives of ____, 16 & Pregnant, Teen Mom, The Bachelor / Bachelorette, America’s Got Talent, America’s Next Top Model, The Voice, Celebrity Apprentice, Bethany Gets Married?, Biggest Loser, Hoarders, The Locater….I mean the list goes on and on.
As a matter of fact, as I prepped for this blog (yes, I do actually put some thought into these things…I don’t just completely pull them out of thin air) I found this website that has a comprehensive list of all past and present reality tv shows. Some of them were really a blast from the past (remember Fear Factor?!), some were just strange (take “Dating in the Dark” or “Gay, Straight, or Taken”), and all of them show that there is basically nothing that is private anymore. You should really click the link & look through it yourself…you’ll probably surprise yourself when you see how many reality shows you have actually watched. Don’t worry, I won’t make you say a number or anything. This is just for your own personal shame. http://www.realitytvworld.com/realitytvworld/allshows.shtml
So I decided that if I were to cash in on my 15 minutes of fame, the show I would most want to compete on would be…(drum roll please)…(if you produce this show then shoot me an e-mail)…”What Not to Wear.” A little anti-climatic I know. But when it came down to it, I’m not interested in a survival show, I’ve already found the love of my life, I’m not into drama, I can’t cook, and I’m not a celebrity the cameras would want to follow. That doesn’t leave me with many options…and I would like a makeover paired with lots of new clothes. I was going to say “How to Look Good Naked,” but I think that’s basically a makeover without the new clothes, so what’s the point of that?!
What about you?! What show would you love to star on?!
KEEP CALM & REALITY TV ON!